Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wedding Blog | We have a date! | Dress Shopping

Wedding Blog
Though I have a general blog (http://unpavedroads.blogspot.com), I've created a wedding planning blog to give everyone updates on these crazy 10 months before the wedding. I'm incredibly excited. Our engagement story is on my general blog, so I don't think I'll post it here. Anyway, the purpose of this blog is to talk about the wedding in a wedding specific spot.

We have a date!
We officially picked a date today! My parents were up in North Carolina this weekend, so this morning at breakfast we picked a date -- Monday, May 3, 2010. This took a fair amount of deliberation. Monday weddings are not very traditional and some people may have to get off work. We are planning for an evening wedding though and giving people plenty of notice, so that will hopefully make it easier. A huge reason for choosing this date was our friends. A lot of us a graduating on May 2, and we want them to be able to come to our wedding. If we wait until later in the summer, many people are working and/or can't afford the trip back to Tennessee. And we do have some other reasons. Basically every Sunday in May '10 has some conflict, and we know we definitely want a May wedding. So yes. A lot of thought went into setting this date.

Dress Shopping
Today was my very first day dress shopping. All the wedding checklists say I should start dress shopping, so Desmond's mom and I went to David's Bridal in Asheville to start searching for the perfect dress. My family had to leave early afternoon, so I was a little bummed my mom couldn't come too. But we had a lot of fun. They were super busy at the store, and the sales lady was a little scattered. We walked in and told them this was the first place we were coming to shop for a dress. They told us to sit at this little table to register. The first thing they asked when they were registering me was the wedding date. Feeling satisfied we'd finally settled on a date, I told the lady May 3, 2010. She looked at me in shock. She couldn't believe I hadn't shopped earlier. "Most people get their dress 12 to 18 months before the wedding," she said. Desmond's mom (Pam) and I were in shock. Eighteen months? Thankfully, Pam told the lady I'd only been engaged since Monday. So yes, I immediately felt very behind and stressed. Pam calmed me a little though. She assured me that the 10 months we have we be plenty of time. And I know she's right, but I can't help but feel a little anxious about all the work that will have to take place.

Another dress detail. Today, I didn't find a specific dress, but I did decide that I'm not going to talk about the kind of dress I'm going to get at all. I don't want Desmond to have a clue what it will look like, so I'm only going to tell our mothers and probably my maid of honor and maybe some other bridesmaids. I hope that doesn't upset anyone, but I think it will be kind of fun.


So that was my first day of wedding plans. It's going to be a crazy ride.

2 comments:

  1. eighteen schmeighteen. lol that's a funny looking word.

    Anyway, my point is, don't feel stressed by the ridiculous lady at David's Bridal telling you that you're behind. You're NOT behind. I was engaged in what - Octoberish? And our wedding was the end of June. I don't think I shopped for a wedding dress until like February or something. I don't know. My point is, your wedding plans will take exactly as long as you have allotted. Especially at David's Bridal. I mean, yeah, if you're getting a custom-made Vera Wang, you probably want 18 months to plan, but David's Bridal? If you order it now, it will be ready looooooong before May.

    I'm just saying. Don't stress. Now is not the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very comforting. Thanks Missy. :)

    ReplyDelete